Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Perch "Stir Fry" over Brown Rice



I love me some homemade Chinese food. Unfortunately I don’t own a wok of my own.

Yet.

I must get to San Francisco someday to get one. Until then I have to improvise with my normal pans!

I've never been able to find a brand of oyster sauce I like in the grocery store and haven't been able to get up to H-Mart. Luckily while having lunch with mom last week at my local Filipino restaurant, I remembered they have a tiny grocery section. Score!

I always make extra rice since I love leftovers, but you can make less or substitute white rice if you don't like brown. I combined olive oil with sesame oil to add a unique flavor to my dish. One of the best things about stir fry is that you can add whatever veggies and meats you like. I love the flavor of oyster sauce and beef, but I had some fresh lake perch thawed, so I used that! Yummy yummy in my tummy!


Perch “Stir Fry” over Brown Rice

1 cup long-grain brown rice
1/4 cup rye berries

1 tablespoon olive oil plus 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup lake perch, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1 egg, whisked

Cook rice with rye berries according to instructions or using a rice cooker. I always cook mine by feel in my trusty rice cooker. I pour the rice in and add water until my first knuckle gets wet when I stick my finger in there. Real scientific huh?



In a medium pan, heat oil mixture over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion, seasoning with salt and pepper. Saute until onions just start to turn clear. Reduce heat to low and add garlic. Cook about 1-2 minutes and add in perch, oyster sauce and egg. Cook until perch is done, about 5-6 minutes or until fish is opaque. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment