Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Curried Grits with Peas



As is usually my dilemma after work, what to whip up for dinner? I kept running options through my head; peanut butter quinoa, rice cakes with peanut butter (I've been craving peanut butter lately) when I settled on something completely different. I wanted a pilaf type dish, but have no rice. I opened the cabinet and there they were staring at me - grits! This oddball dish was so surprisingly wonderful that I know it will soon become a staple.

Curried Grits with Peas
1/2 cup grits
1 cup milk plus 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
4 dried shitake mushrooms, broken up
Palmful kosher salt
1/4 cup cheese, I used monterey jack but I think asiago would be excellent too

Add grits, milk, water, peas, curry powder, mushrooms, and salt to pot and bring to a boil. Keep boiling for 5 minutes, stirring to keep from grits from clumping, or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment