Saturday, March 20, 2010

Grapefruit Poppy Seed Muffins



I decided to bake some muffins to mail to Kyle's parents. Knowing his family likes grapefruit, I started there. Unfortunately most recipes I found used far more butter and sugar than I like to use. I looked up a lemon poppy seed muffin recipe, swapping out the lemon zest for grapefruit zest and grapefruit juice for milk. I also added in some chopped up grapefruit flesh and decreased the amount of poppy seeds. They turned out pretty well, sweet enough but not overpowering. Man did they smell awesome while baking..

Grapefruit Poppy Seed Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon finely grated grapefruit zest
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup grapefruit juice (for me this was roughly the juice from half a grapefruit plus a splash of half and half)
Flesh of that half of a grapefruit, chopped up

Preheat oven to 350. Place liners in mini muffin pan (I always use my mini muffin pan, I love it!). Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In stand mixer, cream butter, zest, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time making sure each is mixed in well. Now add poppy seeds and grapefruit flesh. Add in flour mixture and juice mixture until just combined. Fill muffin liners and bake for 9-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment