Friday, May 7, 2010

Blue Tahini Muffins



So after the awesome success of those chocolate muffins I baked a few days ago I decided to try a different take on them. Same basic recipes, but substituting more exotic ingredients. I had tahini paste in the fridge and subbed that in for oil, adding more milk to balance the consistency out a bit. I'm a nut for grains, so I mixed it up in that department quite a bit. I've been storing the muffins I make in the freezer and even after a spin to defrost in the microwave, these muffins are still deliciously moist. In fact.. I'm craving another one now..

Blue Tahini Muffins
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup blue cornmeal
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup plus 1/2 cup
1/3 cup tahini paste
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup raisin bran cereal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with muffin liners. Stir oats, cornmeal and milk mixture, set aside while other ingredients are combined. Whisk together tahini, sugar, egg and vanilla. Add egg mixture into oats mixture. Combine flours, cereal, baking powder, salt and baking soda, then add into wet ingredients until moistened. Fill muffin liners 2/3 full and sprinkle kosher salt on top. Bake for about 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment