Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tolstoy and Tea

Lookie here!



Yep, I finally made it down to the library today to check out some classics from my mondo reading list. Tolstoy and Dickens made the first round. I’m going to tackle Tolstoy first!

In theme with my book choice, I wanted to make some Russian inspired cookies. You know to curl up on this grim and cloudy afternoon with Mr. Tolstoy and some tea, while nibbling on a yummy, yet sophisticated cookie. Well I searched and found a few recipes I liked. Unfortunately my choices are limited right now. I’ve been baking… and baking… and baking some more. Now I’m pretty much out of everything and anything until I get to the store.

That’s ok, though. It’s me The Improviser! I should have a big “I” on my chest!

I turned to my dad’s almond crescent recipe. Well I have no almonds, but I do have peanuts. I subbed in some peanuts for almonds, peanut butter for shortening, added some milk. Then, just to make things that much more interesting, I quartered the recipe. Here’s what came out of it!



Do peanuts go well with tea? They aren’t supposed to be very sweet cookies, which might make them go better with said tea. We shall see, young grasshopper, we shall see.

Update: I had a patty with my orange tea this morning... it was delicious!

Peanut Patties
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons crushed peanuts
6 2/3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
Pinch of salt

Cream together butter, peanut butter, tahini, milk, extract and sugar in a mixer. Add in peanuts and flour, mix until mixture starts to pull away from sides of the bowl. Take dough out and form into a ball. Wrap dough in wax paper and refrigerate for an hour at least. Remove dough and roll into little balls, placing on a buttered cookie sheet. Bake cookies 10-15 minutes, or until cookies are firm to touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment